Retinal disease is a significant public health issue that is now affecting more of us than ever before. The number of people living with two of the leading causes of vision loss: Neovascular Age-related Macular Degeneration (nAMD) and Diabetic Macular Edema (DME) worldwide is only set to grow.1-8
Projected number of people living with retinal disease1-6
These diseases can have a devastating impact upon our work, our health systems, and those we care about most by closing the window to independence.
People may struggle to:9–13
Current therapy limitations
It is known that there are many limitations to current therapy options. For example, people living with retinal diseases often refer to injection frequency as a key limitation.16,17
IVT injections bring stress
Patients value innovations
that reduce injection
Continuous treatment is needed to maintain optimal vision18
Our pledge to progress
Our strong track record of innovation shows that we are dedicated to seeking the groundbreaking new tools needed to support vision.
- Yau J, Rogers S, Kawasaki R, et al. Global Prevalence and Major Risk Factors of Diabetic Retinopathy. Diabetes Care. 2012;35:556–564.
- Ogurtsova K, da Rocha Fernandes JD, Huang Y, et al. IDF Diabetes Atlas: Global estimates for the prevalence of diabetes for 2015 and 2040. Elsevier. 2017;128: 40-50.
- Cheloni R, Gandolfi SA, Signorelli C, et al. Global prevalence of diabetic retinopathy: protocol for a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ Open. 2019;9:e022188. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2018-022188.
- Connolly E, Rhatigan M, O’Halloran AM, et al. Prevalence of age-related macular degeneration associated genetic risk factors and 4-year progression data in the Irish population. Br J Ophthalmol. 2018;102:1691–1695.
- Bright Focus Foundation; Age-Related Macular Degeneration: Facts & Figures, 2019. Available from: www.brightfocus.org/macular/article/age-related-macular-facts-figures [Accessed January 2021].
- Wong WL, Su X, Li X et al. Global prevalence of age-related macular degeneration and disease burden projection for 2020 and 2040: a systematic review and meta-analysis. The Lancet Global Health. 2014; 2(2): e106-e116.
- Macon C, Carrier H, Janczewski A, et al. Effect of Automobile Travel Time Between Patients’ Homes and Ophthalmologists’ Offices on Screening for Diabetic Retinopathy. Telemed J E Health. 2018;24(1):11-20.
- Rose MA, Vukicevic M, Koklanis K, et al. Experiences and perceptions of patients undergoing treatment and quality of life impact of diabetic macular edema: a systematic review. Psychol Health Med. 2019;24(4):383-401.
- Elshout M, Webers CA, Van Der Reis MI, et al. Tracing the natural course of visual acuity and quality of life in neovascular age-related macular degeneration: A systematic review and quality of life study. BMC Ophthalmol. 2017;17(1):120.
- Xu K, Gupta V, Bae S, Sharma S. Metamorphopsia and vision-related quality of life among patients with age-related macular degeneration. Can J Ophthalmol. 2018;53(2):168-172.0
- Bian W, Wan J, Smith G, et al. Domains of health-related quality of life in age-related macular degeneration: a qualitative study in the Chinese cultural context. BMJ Open. 2018;8(4):e018756.
- Prem SM, Khadka J, Gilhotra JS, et al. Exploring the quality of life issues in people with retinal diseases: a qualitative study. J Patient Rep Outcomes. 2017;1(1):15.
- Dev MK, Paudel N, Joshi ND, et al. Impact of visual impairment on vision-specific quality of life among older adults living in nursing home. Curr Eye Res. 2014;39(3):232-8.
- Monés J, Singh RP, Bandello F, et al. Undertreatment of Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration after 10 Years of Anti-Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Therapy in the Real World: The Need for A Change of Mindset. Ophthalmologica. 2020;243(1):1-8.
- International Federation on Ageing. International Federation on Ageing. The high cost of low vision. 2013. Available from: https://ifa.ngo/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/The-High-Cost-of-Low-Vision-The-Evidence-on-Ageing-and-the-Loss-of-Sight.pdf [Accessed October 2020].
- Sivaprasad S and Oyetunde S. Impact of injection therapy on retinal patients with diabetic macular edema or retinal vein occlusion. Clin Ophthalmol. 2016;10:939-46.
- Habib AE, Abdel-Kader AA, Eissa IM, Ahmed Awadein. Adherence to Intravitreal Anti-Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor (Anti-VEGF) Drugs in Diabetic Macular Edema in an Egyptian Population: A Health Belief Model. Curr Eye Res. 2019;44(3):303-310.
- Peden MC, Suñer IJ, Hammer ME, Grizzard WS. Long-term outcomes in eyes receiving fixed-interval dosing of anti-vascular endothelial growth factor agents for wet age-related macular degeneration. Ophthalmology. 2015;122(4):803-8.